Saturday 2 June 2012

Chiang Rai, Thailand

Options getting out of northern Laos into Thailand are limited. I mentioned the speedboat option in my Luang Prabang post (this wasn't an option for me). The ONLY other option is an overnight sitting bus. My stomach turned when I heard this, with memories of the now famous 20 hour Anjuna to Varkala trip in February. As I have no other option I booked it anyway. It costs 200,000 Kip to get to the border  overnight, arriving at 6am. I didn't sleep much (I never can sitting up) but the journey wasn't bad, just a little cramped; there were so many people on the bus they put little plastic chairs down the centre aisle and to get out to the toilet everyone had to clamber over them! So we arrived at 6am to a large, new, empty bus station. There was just a man in a kiosk. He said that I can book a taxi to the border, a boat across the border, a taxi to the bus station in Thailand and a bus to Chiang Rai all through him; total cost: 105,000 Kip. I paid the man and had to wait around for an hour for the taxi (?!). While waiting I photographed all my visas (exciting) and had a wonder about. I found one tiny shop selling pot noodles. The owner had just moved in to the plot and very kindly gave me some of his bread and coffee for free! Eventually the taxi arrived and took me to the river and I switched into a boat for a quick jaunt across the Mekong. Goodbye Laos, hello Thailand!

Deserted bus
Deserted bus station
Re-charging the phone while waiting for the taxi
On the boat across the Laos / Thai border
Arriving at the other side it's a remarkably quick process. My passport is stamped with 30 days, much to the annoyance of the others on the boat, who all got 15 days (which is standard for land-border crossings). I still have no idea why I was special! On leaving Thailand the customs official made a confused grunt noise, looked at me, but stamped the passport anyway. A dash in a taxi and a 4 hour bus journey (I fell asleep) and I'm in Chiang Rai.

A friend of mine from London, Anna, is already there and has sorted a nice room out in Jitaree (200 Baht). On arrival we catch up on each others trips, I re-bond with Hunkie and she introduces me to the dogs, the little Myamar lady that works there, the oracle-like Australian man who's been there for an eternity and also the delights of 7eleven iced coffee.

Hunkie
Lacurl


As my first impression of Thailand it certainly has some impressive looking temples; shinier and better kept than Cambodia or Laos they're blinding in the afternoon sunlight.



That evening we had a cook-your-own BBQ at a pleasant little local eatery near the hostel with a couple staying in the same guest house then walked to the street with the bars. Chiang Rai's not known as a party destination so there's just a handful of bars and massage parlours containing a sprinkling of ex-pats and tourists. We drink outside the cat bar with the fattest dog (Chien de la rue) I've possibly ever seen in my life; before heading in for a few games of pool and some weird free drinks while the owner, Sam, plays some rock classics (You can also Jam with Sam).

Anna beating me at pool 
Sam jamming
Cat bar ornaments 


1 comment:

  1. The pooch featured in the photo is Nikki; not Lacurl. What kind of blog IS this?! Tsk.

    ReplyDelete