Tuesday 17 July 2012

Melaka, Malaysia

I was going to go straight from KL to Singapore but as KL and me didn't gel so well I decided to make a mid-way stop in Melaka. Like Georgetown I immediately loved the place with its big culture mixes, cute colonial buildings and friendly people. Off the long-distance bus I hopped on a local bus for the 30 minute journey into the town. I met an Italian chap who was asking where I was going and what I was going to do (I had no plans). He told me how him and his girlfriend were having an argument and pointed to her scowling a few seats back. I awkwardly waved but received no response. As the bus pulled in I ciao'd and dashed off, not wanting to be in the middle of a feud. No clue where to go I strolled about in the intense heat getting some recommendations. I came across a cute looking place called Jalan Jalan and rang the bell. An older, balder, more tattoo'd version of me answered the door and ushered me in. We discussed London for ages (he's not been home in 25 years) then got into the subject of rooms; I could stay for 15 Ringgits a night (dorm) or check out the new place 50 meters down the road for 19 Ringgits a night (dorm). I opted for the new place and off we went. It was more like a house, with no reception, and no staff permanently there. Passing the 4-bed, mixed dorm it opens into a bright living room with wooden staircase up to the single and double private rooms. At the back are two showers and an open area with sinks. Jalan Jalan felt homely to me immediately. I knew I was actually home when a voice from the top of the stairs called "Stuart?". I looked up and there was Ilia - Russian partner in crime!! 

Ilia lounging about in the common room
Things quickly spiralled into a food and alcohol warp. A typical day would be duck noodles & toast with egg for breakfast (with a 100PLUS for the hangover), tandoori chicken or dosa for lunch (only after 3pm!) and, my favourite food from all of my travels, a fantastic spicy laksa for dinner. Post dinner we would sit and watch the giant karaoke stage ($3 for tourists to have a go) with the local elders, or have a go ourselves in a bar next to the stage. After this we'd go and see old Mr.Lee who would sell us cheap beer and brandy from his living room. One night we cycled around all night like a bunch of teenagers who's parents had left town. We tried to get into a club called MIXX at around 2am but it was shutting in 30 minutes and they wanted a full entrance fee. Next we caused much amusement in the McDonalds drive-thru before deciding we needed a swim on this balmy night. We eventually found one at a hotel at 4am, stating that we were going to check-in later that morning and would like to test it... I have no idea how the night-porter knew this was false! 

Hanging around on the karaoke stage
Ilia and Kat tearing up the karaoke "bar"
DELICIOUS Laksa & dumplings
Sam and his tits
Samah at the McDonalds drive-thru
Healthy living

No comments:

Post a Comment