Wednesday 8 August 2012

Bagan, Myanmar


I hadn't seen another tourist in a week so the Italian coffee, wi-fi and burgers of Myanmar's most touristic destination were welcome! I spent over a week here in a friendly guest house called Shwe Ni Di - I had a room for $7 a night. I had a bicycle to get around on - by far the best way of getting to and around the 2500 Stupas that pepper the desert-like terrain just outside old Bagan.    


My hairdresser
My bicycle

A few of the many many many many temples!


He supplied the postcards you received
The guest house had wash-basins outside - it was fresh to have a wash in the morning sunshine!


I found a little cafe with the name "Wetherspoons" and had to investigate further (Wetherspoons is a chain of cheap pubs in the UK). The owner, Winton, trained as a chef in Bristol, in the Cambridge arms! I've been in this pub several times when I lived in Bristol. He learned to make burgers - very very good burgers! The burgers here are the best I've had anywhere on my travels - It's surreal coming across a place like this!

Winton
THE BEST BURGER IN ASIA!

An advertising board on the main street costs $3000 a year to hire. You can only hire it for a year - there's no weekly or monthly options. The board has been empty for years!



Burmese curry set and a fake 7eleven




No comments:

Post a Comment