Friday 13 April 2012

India to Vietnam

My flight is due to leave Kolkata airport at 01:30. At the airport I developed severe stomach cramps and spent most of my time in the toilets. What on earth caused this? I was feeling a little ill earlier in the day but it had cleared. I'd eaten quite normal food for the last couple of days. By the time I was on the plane I was feeling a little better, but avoided my in-flight meal, which seemed to baffle the air stewardess, who kept asking me if I would like the food yet.

The flight was over quick and I landed in Bangkok at 05:30. One I was finished (literally) fighting hoards of Chinese people to get through immigration I exit into the main area. I have twelve hours to kill - my flight is at 19:05. My bag is going to stay in the airport system, so all I have is my camera and laptop (with no charger and a flat battery!) - I would kill to clean my teeth and apply deodorant. Bangkok airport is a jaw-dropping place, possibly definitely one of the nicest airports I've ever been to. Huge, clean, cool and bright with everything laid out beautifully and logically. There's even a huge garden at the side, but I couldn't find a way into it so I suspect it's staff only.


I decide to catch the swish super-fast monorail into Bangkok centre for a look around. I arrived into the centre and everything's closed. What I didn't realise is that it's Thai new year! I call Talitha as I was set to meet her sometime today, and catch the same flight to Vietnam later that evening, but she's exhausted from an overnight bus trip and needs to sleep. Wandering about the markets for a while more and more people start gathering on the streets, with water-guns. I ask a young chap with a particularly scary and colourful water gun and I'm told that it's part of the new year celebrations - you will get wet! With no sleep, an ever-twisting stomach and my DSLR in a non-waterproof bag I decide it's probably best to get back to the safety of the airport!

Back at the airport my stomach is really churning and I decide that eating something might settle it. I marvel at the array of western eateries, of which I'd seen none in the last three months. I opt for a plain veggie subway - just the bread and salad stuff (no chillies!). Munching this and a flat warm coca-cola seemed to agitate the stomach violently, and I again spend the next 45 minutes in the toilet. I hate this, as they're so quiet, in an acoustic sense, but also busy with people in and out of the cubicles next to you. I also noted that the floor is so shiny you can see the person next door, as if you were lying on the floor underneath them! Once feeling a break in the cramps I decide I need a shower. Where can I get a shower? I notice a sign for the Bangkok airport hotel and head there down the quietest, shiniest passageway I've ever seen.

Passageway from the airport to the airport hotel
 The hotel reception is enormous. Nothing here is small, or basic. Marble, trees, glass and brass covers everything with a huge silver lotus flower high up in the middle - a shower here is going to cost me. The reception being so big however give me an advantage, in that I can sneak, unnoticed, to the health suite. There is no-one about so I follow the signs to the the second floor and enter the male changing rooms - heaven! Big showers, towels, toilets, jacuzzi! I notice an expensive looking watch, shirt and shoes near the lockers, and hear someone in one of the nearest showers. I grab a towel from the jacuzzi and hit the furthest shower. So good. So so good. Incredible what a simple shower can do for you, I instantly felt better. On the way out of the shower I bump into a posh looking western man, say a quick hi then leave sharply, before any questions could be asked. He viewed my attire with surprise! What's wrong with my worn out shorts, sweat-stained t-shirt and holy vans?? I grab a quick shot of the reception from the 2nd floor balcony and ninja-exit the hotel. Job done.

Airport hotel reception
Back in the airport and feeling better I decide to attempt to sleep on one of those uncomfortable three person plastic benches, tucked away near the monorail station, out of the way of the masses. Not thinking I'd sleep at all I wake up startled, three hours later, in such an odd position, wrapped up in my camera bag strap which I'd attached to myself to prevent sticky fingers, and with my now dead left arm almost trapped between the seats. I blearily look at the time - It's now 2pm. Only 5 hours to go! Testing the stomach situation I buy what looks like the healthiest drink I've ever seen. It has pictures of at least twenty fruits and vegetables on it and is indeed delicious, but it immediately gnarls the stomach, and I soon find myself in the toilets again. Dammit :(


Around 5pm the check-in opens. I await the arrival of a good friend, Talitha, with an inkling that she will appear at the top of a particular escalator. Twenty-five minutes later that exact escalator delivers. It's been a long time since I've seen her and we hug it out, compare brown factors (I lost) then head to the Vietnam airlines desk ready for the quick hop to Hanoi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment