Monday 20 February 2012

Madurai (part1)


I arrive out of the station at midnight and need to find accomodation. I'm heading to Kodaikanal first thing tomorrow so any room will do. I shall be back to explore Madurai in a few days.

I come across a few places i recognise from the lonely planet, but they're out of my budget. I stumble across this large block on a dark backstreet, it says "Madurai residences". The young man behind the counter says he has rooms for 300 rupees (£4) so i agree. I wait for him to ask for passport, fill out name and to pay. I try and explain that this is what i want to do but he does the Indian head-shake and hands me the key. Seems unusual but ok. I've got nothing to lose. I head to the room on the 4th floor, it reminds me of a prison. All concrete, dark, with windows from the room to the balcony. Men in wifebeaters are watching TV in some rooms i pass. Opening the door reveals my cell. It's just a bed (clean sheets but no blankets), a TV and a hole-in-the-ground toilet. The walls are a faded snot green colour. I do nothing but get into my sleeping bag and sleep.

I'm woken up by the phone at 1:30am. An irate man says "come reception now, come reception". I head down and a different, older man (possibly the owner) starts going off at me about my name, passport and money. I didn't argue, just entered my details and paid. I said sorry, patted him on the back and he smiled back "no problem sir". He needs to re-train his staff!

1 comment:

  1. Well I learned something new here. Wife beaters...I had to google it..I know know them to be the sport like white vests. Great posts very descriptive is there a book in this trip?

    ReplyDelete