Tuesday 21 February 2012

Madurai to Kodaikanal

Sorry for the glut of posts today - this is the first time i've been able to spend any time on wi-fi in ages. There is NO wi-fi!! I've been writing all these posts offline then uploading to blogger when i have a chance. I'm finding myself splurging words out at the moment, which is the complete opposite of what i thought would happen!

The guards clanked their batons along the prison cell bars at 7am. I had a suprisingly good nights sleep. I have 5 new mosquito bites although I couldn't see any of the beasts in my standard pre-bed check. There's either one very fat mosquito hiding or an army invaded and left. I discharge myself for good behaviour and head for the bus station via a delicious street coffee-man. I needed to find the bus to Kodaikanal. If people knew they all sent me different directions, and they wanted money just for telling me. If they didn't know they sent me somewhere, wanting to be helpful, and asked for money. Not willing to give out cash and now fed up of asking people I speak to a policeman, who tells me to go to Arapalayam bus station about 5km down the road. I thank him gratefully and grab a tuk-tuk agreeing on 50 rupees with the driver before we leave. He agrees and we head out. Once there i hand over 50 and step out. "70 rupees" he says. "50 we agreed!" i said. "60 rupees" he said with his best smile. I just walked off, agitated already and it's not even 9am.

In Arapalayam bus station a million busses are coming and going, people eveywhere. I weave between the buses asking the drivers "Hello! Kokaikanal?". Eventually i find out where and when the bus leaves. I expect to see some westerners waiting as Kodaikanal is 100% on the tourist trail. I guess they're all going by private bus or taxi. This crate costs me 91p, for a 125km, 2.5 hour journey! I get on the bus and store my bag as the rest of the world gets on after me.

A seven year old boy called Karthick sits next to me, and front/behind sit his sister, 2 cousins, mother, father, uncle and aunt. They're on a family trip to their favourite temple in the mountains. Their English is amazing, i can't speak a word of Tamil! It's impossible to learn even the simplest words in India With 1500 languages those words are bound to be different when you get around the corner. The family are incredibly curious of me and i recieve the Spanish inquisition. They don't come across many westerners. The daughters are shocked that i'm not married. They take my photo and I sign various bits of paper for everyone. I get their signatures also, and wish my camera wasn't in my bag behind a forest of legs. I hand out stickers and fail at trying to explain skiing. Karthick draws me a picture of his made-up super hero (Gilob.G).

We reach the temple and they head off "BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE..." until out of sight. Such lovely people. New people get on the bus for the remaining hour up the mountains. The man in front has such a cough i'm sure he's going to die before we get there.

1 comment:

  1. Stuart you will have to write a book, these posts are so good. They will be fantastic with the photographs as well. Keep safe and healthy. love and hugs. mom

    ReplyDelete