Sunday 11 March 2012

Sigiriya, Sri Lanka

Made a major boo-boo here. Sigiriya's in the middle of nowhere. I just wanted to head there for the day then move on as there's a ruined citadel on top of a large tooth like rock. I packed my bags and grabbed a bus from the terminal in Dambulla. Got to the site and walked ages to get to the ticket desk, with my rucksack (i was hoping i could leave it somewhere). Sweating like mad I asked how much for entry - 3800 rupees! hmm. I should've checked the guidebook first on prices, I was a little short. The lady on the ticket desk wouldn't budge, even to let me go in as a local (who's price was considerably lower). So, a long, hot slog back to the road and a long wait for the bus and some amusing banter with some tuk-tuk drivers trying to get me to go on all sorts of tours. All was not lost though as an Australian girl turned up who'd been to the top and had the pictures to show me - so I almost felt like I'd been there!

as close as i got!

No comments:

Post a Comment