Sunday 4 March 2012

One month down

Travelling for one month now. It's gone quickly. I'm obviously missing my family and friends. Travelling is pretty damn lonely at times, and even the people you meet in hostels are fleeting friends. I'm certainly missing my bed (not that I actually own one). The most I've slept in the same bed is 4 nights. I'm also missing rain (i've not seen rain since leaving England) and cheese.

Mosquito free sleep. I miss that LOTS! Little buggers nipping in the night. Where there's no mosquito net I've taken to sleeping in trousers and a jumper, with deet soaked hands. They don't normally attack my head but one did give me a lovely bite SLAP BANG in the centre of the forehead, it must've been in sheer annoyance at me lying there smug in my anti-mosquito outfit. But after being bitten 9 times on my left elbow the other night I'm almost numb to the itching now and I'm becoming quite a dab at catching them. My favourite is catching them inside the mosquito net, then getting in and torturing them! mwuhaha! No escape now you little sh*t.

My Pears soap has nearly gone. The replacement will be stolen soaps from more upper class places I've stayed. It's done well: washing a very sweaty me and all of my very sweaty clothes. It also helped me through the initial bout of botty squirts (as there's no toilet paper in India) but I will  forever now associate the smell of Pears soap with that function.

I've had one haircut and shave, in Pondicherry. I aim to have one in every country I visit.

80% of the time I'm living on around £10 a day. Catching characterful £1 buses, eating amazing street food (vegetable-chilli-egg-roti's = mouthwatering) for around £1 and staying in cheap accommodation when I can. I should hopefully be under the £5000 mark by six months down. Although at the time of writing this I'm sitting in a German bar in Arugam, which stocks a full compliment of expensively delicious imported beers! C'mon, there's only so much Lion or Kingfisher beer a man can take!


1 comment: